"When the dust finally settled after the War of Independence, Jerusalem was divided by the
cease-fire line between Israel and Jordan. Yet in the northeastern
corner of the city, the summit of Mount Scopus remained, a small
enclave of Israeli controlled territory, surrounded by Jordan on all
We begin our tour on Derech Hashalom, further down the hill from the American Consulate, and stop by the large square house with the UN flag and the red tiled roof.
In 1948, at the end of fighting between Israel and Jordan, Mount Scopus remained a point of conflict. With
86 Israeli policemen and 35 civilians on the Jewish side, and 40 policemen and the inhabitants of the village of
Issawiye on the Arab side, a deal was reached. The compromise was agreed upon in the square U.N. building. The agreement divided Mt. Scopus into three parts: an Israeli area, an Arab area, and "no man's land".
In the final cease-fire agreements, signed in Rhodes in 1949, work was to recommence at the two Israeli
institutions on Mt. Scopus: the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the Hadassah hospital, and Israel was be allowed
free passage to them. In effect, this was completely disregarded by the Jordanians. Mount Scopus became an
Israeli enclave surrounded on all sides by Jordanian territory. In time, arrangements were made whereby a
convoy of supplies and policemen (soldiers in police uniforms) crossed the Jordanian ruled territory to Mt.
Scopus once every two weeks.
The Mandelbaum Gate
Directly opposite the UN building.
Close to the Tourjeman Post, alongside the U.N. house, was a border crossing known as the Mandelbaum
gate. All memory of this historic crossing has since been erased. Where once lay the border between the two
countries, now runs one of the main traffic arteries of Jerusalem. The border is commemorated by a decorative sundial on a traffic island and by the Pikud Merkaz Square.
On the other side of the road from the UN building and further up the hill, you will find the "Tourjeman Post".
The story of the period, and the history of Jerusalem as a divided city are well preserved in the "Tourjeman
Post". This house, now a museum, was once the last Israeli outpost overlooking the convoys on their way to Mt.
Scopus. Some of the bullet holes in the walls still remain, as do the narrow, armor plated windows, a witness to
19 years of Jordanian snipers firing at Israeli houses across the border fence.
Further down the road from the UN building, on Derech Hashalom, go right at the first traffic light and cross the road at the intersection.
On the way to Mt. Scopus the convoy would pass the Sheikh Jarash mosque. On 12 April 1948, four "Haganah"
fighters were abducted from an Israeli post opposite the mosque, by a British unit who turned them over to the
Arabs. Needless to say, they were subsequently murdered. This was also the site of an attempted Jordanian
armored offensive on 20 May 1948. This was defeated, when the first three armored vehicles were hit and stopped by
Go left at the intersection.
A little way up the road is a memorial for 71 Israeli paratroopers who were killed in fierce battle with the Jordanian
Legion on 6 June 1967. It was here, during the Six Day War, that the Israeli forces succeeded in breaching the Jordanian lines in the
attempt to reach Mt. Scopus.
Follow the road as it bends right and up the hill. As it bends left on the right side is the Ayin Chet monument.
Ayin Chet monument
The Ayin Chet monument
commemorates (picture opposite) one of the most brutal Arab attacks on Israeli civilians under British mandatory rule. On 13 April
1948, a convoy of 78 doctors, nurses, patients and their guards was ambushed by Arabs and massacred. This
took place in clear view of British soldiers who stood by, watched, and did not allow Israeli emergency vehicles
The Jewish Quarter